Some of the best massage chairs on the market are almost as good as a trip to the local masseur, and a good massage is a great way to relax.
When you purchase a quality massage chair, you will find yourself looking forward to going home after a long day, and enjoying a relaxing massage.
Chair Massage Benefits
In addition to helping melt away stress, a good massage chair can offer you a number of other benefits.
- Stress Relief – Relieving your stress level will also reduce your cortisol level. With frequent massages, you may find yourself sleeping better, eating better and your blood pressure may normalize. Massage chairs relieve anxiety and depression.
- Muscle Relaxation – A chair massage can help reduce muscle stiffness and soreness after athletic activity. In addition, your posture and balance may improve.
- Increased Circulation – The pressure from the massage helps push blood to all parts of your body.
- Less Lactic Acid – When you have micro muscle injuries from working out, you get a build-up of lactic acid in the muscles. This waste is broken down and removed from your body when your blood circulation is improved.
- Less Back Pain – Massage works better than acupuncture or spinal surgery to relieve lower back pain. In a recent study, massage therapy reduced the need for pain killers in back patients, by 36%.
- Immune System Boost – A massage chair increases the number of lymphocytes or white blood cells in your body.
- Cancer Patients – Massage chairs are very effective at reducing cancer symptoms and treatment side effects. Patients report less pain, fatigue and nausea.
There are a number of excellent massage chairs on the market. Based on your needs and your home, you’ll have to review the massage chairs and decide which one is best for you.
Compare Massage Chairs
Traditional massage is a very effective way to relieve muscle tension and reduce pain, but it requires that you go to a masseuse and it takes time from your day.
Massage chairs have filled the need, and they are almost as good as going to a spa. And, if you’ve been paying for regular massages, you’ll quickly reach a break-even point, as massage chairs are quite affordable.
Prices vary considerably, and you definitely get what you pay for, when buying a massage chair. Shop for the features that you want. Don’t just pay attention to the price.
There are two basic types of massage chairs. Vibration chairs are less expensive, and if you are just getting a massage chair for stress relief, this option might be fine. However, for a true therapeutic massage, consider a robotic massage chair with shiatsu massage. There is a huge difference in the way that these two types of massage chair perform.
Consider these features when buying a massage chair:
- Kinds of massage – Does the chair just vibrate or does it offer different kinds of massage?
- Customizable – Are there pre-programmed modes or can you choose the kind of massage and the part of your body that you want to concentrate on? For example if your neck has pain, can you choose to have a neck massage?
- Timer – Can you set a time limit or does the chair just keep going?
- Zero gravity option – This option is great for people with spine or back problems. It de-compresses the spine or takes the pressure off your spine. Chiropractors use this technique when working with clients with back issues.
- Size of chair – Some massage chairs are huge, while others can fit into a smaller space. Consider how large a chair your room can handle.
- Heat – Heat can relax you and help relieve pain. If the chair has heat, does it heat everywhere or just in one area, like the lower back?
- Capacity – Most chairs can support a person up to 300 pounds. Some, however, have a lower capacity. Check this, if you think it could be a problem.
- What parts of the body? – Some massage chairs massage everything from head to toe–including your feet and arms. Others are more limited. If this is important to you, make sure you understand what parts of your body will be massaged.
6 Best Massage Chairs for Sale
Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Heated Reclining Massage Chair
Larger than some massage chairs, this model offers quite a few nice features. The chair zeroes in on your neck, shoulder and lumbar areas, but it also massages your arms and legs. It has 41 air bags and works on neck, shoulder, back, seat, arm, palms and even the soles of your feet.
Heat is provided with the arm, neck and hip massages. Twin rollers mimic the feel of human thumbs.
With this chair, you can choose to time your massage to be 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your schedule.
You can customize the kind of massage you want, choosing kneading, rolling, shiatsu, Swedish or tapping.
Your control has an LCD display and it is a wireless mini-controller.
This massage chair hold up to a 265 pound person.
The chair is made of faux leather and it comes in several color combinations:
6027 Robotic Zero Gravity Reclining Massage Chair
Made by Cozzia, this is another large massage chair with nice features.
This massage chair lets you choose from these massage types: Swedish, shiatsu, kneading, clapping, tapping, and rolling.
The Cozzia 6027 uses body scan technology and has an outstanding zero gravity position for relaxing your back. It takes pressure off your spine and increases blood circulation to your back.
You can choose from 9 pre-programmed modes, and 6 are all-over massages, while 3 are partial massages focusing on the neck, shoulders or back.
The controller has an LCD screen and is a wireless remote.
If you have checked out other massage chairs, you know that the footrest is important. This one adjusts, so that the chair will work for you, whether you are tall or short.
Calf and foot massage are included.
The chair holds up to 300 pounds, and it comes in brown or black faux leather.
Osaki OS-1000 Reclining Massage Chair
Perhaps one of the best massage chairs for the money, the Osaki OS-1000 will give you a full body massage to relieve fatigue and stress.
With this recliner massage chair, you can choose the intensity level that you would like, from 6 levels which range from strong to weak.
Twenty air bags will give your legs, thighs and feet a good massage.
Massage types for this chair include kneading, tapping, rolling and a combination of kneading and tapping.
The recliner leans back to 170 degrees. This chair does include a neck massage, if that is your primary interest.
Osaki OS-1000 has a 3 year warranty, and it comes in faux leather in brown or black.
AC Pacific Reclining Massage Chair
This reclining massage chair gives you several choices. The Relax option gives you a thorough 15 minute shiatsu massage, concentrating on tension in pressure points that tighten up with stress.
The Knead mode gives you a 15 minute massage that targets your back.
Location Specific Targeting gives you the option to choose specific areas of your back for a more intense massage workout.
Kneading, rolling and shiatsu are the massage types on this chair.
This massage chair will fit into almost any decor, as it just looks like a regular recliner. It is finished in brown faux leather, with plush armrests and seat cushion.
The recliner is motorized for smooth and quiet movement.
The capacity for this massage chair is 300 pounds.
iJoy-2580 Premium Robotic Massage Chair
A recliner massage chair, the iJoh-2580 is made with Human Touch technology. The massage chair was designed to ease pain and reduce stress related tension and fatigue.
You’ll find that your body relaxes, circulation improves and you will feel stress melt away.
Made for a relaxing stay, the IJoy-2580 even has a cup holder for your favorite beverage and an auxiliary power outlet to plug in your music source.
Choose from rolling, kneading, compression, and percussion. An automatic timer shuts off in 15 minutes.
This chair is smaller than some, and that makes it better suited for smaller homes or apartments.
It also sits lower than some people like, making it more difficult to stand up, once seated.
The chair reclines to 165 degrees. It does not include arm or leg massages.
RealTree Relaxzen Heated Massage Chair
I included this massage chair because it is a novelty chair that some people love. It’s quite affordable, and, for the price of two or three massages, you can have the chair in your own home.
This is not a full massage chair, as it only offers a vibration mode. It does have a nice lumbar heat, which would work well when watching your favorite game on TV or reading a book.
There are 9 pre-programmed massage modes and 5 intensity levels. You also have the heat option.
You can elect to concentrate on your upper and lower back, thighs, calves or everything at once..
This chair is made by Comfort Products and it comes with a 100% polyester upholstery with the familiar RealTree camouflage design.
If you are unsteady on your feet, this might not be your best choice, as the chair tips easily. It will hold someone over 225 pounds and possibly up to 300 pounds. The info I could find was not clear on this.