A massage office chair can make the difference between a stressful workplace and a productive work environment with positive energy.
The American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society both recommend massage as a way to relieve chronic pain, including back and neck pain.
Fortunately massage chairs do a relatively good job of mimicking a masseuse.
Why Consider a Massage Office Chair?
Ever have a day at the office when every hour seemed to get worse than the hour before? Your stress and tension levels just kept rising. And your lower back was killing you!
That’s the kind of stressful situation that office massage chairs are meant to handle. Here are some of the documented benefits:
- Relaxes muscles – When tension builds, your muscles get tense and hard. Gentle massage on your back can help relieve the tension and loosen things up a bit.
- Improves posture – You look better and more confident when your posture is good. But, more importantly, your digestive systems and other parts of your body perform better, too.
- Improves circulation – Sitting at your desk all day long is not good for your heart, your blood vessels and your health, in general. You probably know how stiff and sore you get on a long plane ride. The same thing can happen if you sit at your desk all day long. A massage chair can help keep your blood circulating, so you don’t have to jump up and move around every half hour.
- Stress relief – Workplace stress is incredibly high for many people. A good massage office chair can get you more relaxed, so that you can get more work done.
- Relieves pain – If you are trying to concentrate on your work, and your back hurts, sitting all day can be miserable. Back pain is often exacerbated by sitting. Heat and/or massage can really help reduce the pain so that you have more energy and are not focused on your pain.
- Improves mood – A chair massage stimulates the release of endorphins, those little hormones that relieve pain, improve your mood and stimulate your immune system. Having an office massage chair could help you feel happier at work.
Studies support using a massage office chair for greater comfort and more productivity. With just a 15 minute massage, participants reported less job stress, greater alertness and they were faster and more accurate on math computations.
What to Look for in a Massage Office Chair
A massage office chair is not intended to put you into a deep state of relaxation and prep you for an afternoon nap. It is simply intended to relax you and relieve stress and tension.
Office massage chairs are very inexpensive. Most cost only a few dollars more than a regular office chair, but they have many more advantages.
However, you will probably not see Shiatsu massage or Swedish massage on an office chair. Most are limited to vibration, which does decrease pain, improve your mood, relax you and stimulate your immune system.
When shopping for a massage office chair, consider these features:
- Massage – What type of massage and does it meet your needs?
- Heat – Not only does heat relieve pain, it also feels really good on a cold snowy day.
- Swivel – This is not just a massage chair. Your chair must perform the normal functions of an office chair.
- Padding – You’ll want padding in the arms, seat cushion and the back.
- Adjustable – Like any good chair, it should have adjustments that will customize it for you.
- Heat and massage separate? – You probably won’t want to have both heat and massage every time you use your chair. It’s nice to be able to choose only one.
Most Popular Massage Office Chairs
Alcott Hill Heated Massage Recliner Office Chair
This chair is a comfortable executive style chair that reclines, in addition to its massage and heat functions. The ottoman is included with the chair.
Both vibration and kneading massage are provided by the chair. And this massage office chair will provide massage action to your back, lumbar area, thighs and legs.
You can choose from 5 intensity levels and 9 massage modes, giving you control over speed and intensity.
The heat and massage modes work separately.
Made of black faux leather. Comes with a 2 year warranty. Maximum weight capacity is 250 pounds.
Susannah Reclining Heated Massage Chair
This popular massage office chair is also a recliner. It is a heated massage chair by Darby Home Company and comes with the ottoman that is shown.
With this massage chair, you choose from 4 pre-programmed massage modes and 5 intensity levels. Eight vibration massage motors are ready to massage your back, thighs and calves. One of the chair’s features is a quiet vibration.
Designed for office use, the chair swivels, has thick padded upholstery and it also reclines to give you instant relief from tension. It also serves to relieve muscle aches and increase your blood circulation.
A remote control gives you easy access.
For back pain sufferers, the chair provides heat in the lumbar area.
Unlike other chairs in this category, this one can be used either inside or outside. It’s perfect for a screened in porch or sunroom.
Flash Furniture Heated Reclining Massage Chair
With 5 intensity levels and 9 masage modes, this chair should keep you comfortable no matter how stressful your office environment is.
A remote control gives you access to heat, timer, auto control, massage modes and intensity levels all at once.
This chair has a swivel function, and it comes with the ottoman in the photo.
Unlike many massage office chairs, this one provide only kneading massage (like a rolling ball massage), instead of the usual vibration massage. The ottoman has a massage function, but no heat.
Made of faux leather, the chair comes in black. Seat and back cushions are attached to the chair. The chair has a weight capacity of 250 pounds.
A nice feature of this chair, it has side pockets, perfect storage for the remote and other small items.
Holden Heated Office Massage Chair
Made by Zipcode Design, this attractive massage chair come in brown or black and is made of a faux leather.
Cushions are made of high density foam for comfort. Arm rests are also padded.
You can choose from 9 pre-programmed random modes and 5 intensity levels. The ottoman is included and can be connected to the chair for a massage.
This office massage chair has 8 vibrating massage motors. And, if you need to work on a specific area of your body, you can choose the massage zone that you need, for a focused massage.
The Holden chair has a swivel feature for office use.
Symple Stuff Heated Reclining Massage Chair
A good value, this recliner massage chair is very inexpensive. It’s almost like the massage and heat functions are free with an office chair.
Maximum power is aimed at your lumbar area, back and thighs. And you can add heat while you massage. The heat function cannot be run separately, however.
The massage chair has 3 intensity levels and 5 massage modes. Massage has a kneading vibration motion.
Made of leather, the chair has attached set and back cushions.
A handy remote gives you access to heat, timer, auto control, massage modes and massage intensity levels.
Maximum capacity for this chair is 250 pounds.