Understanding body language is so important because we communicate our thoughts and feelings to others non-verbally, 60 to 80% of the time.
In fact, we communicate most of our thoughts, feelings and ideas to others, using facial expressions, body movements and body positions—that’s non-verbal communication!
If you know what to look for, and you understand body language signs, you are well on the way to understanding other people—your significant other, your children, your friends, your co-workers and your boss.
Reading Body Language
Non-verbal communication skill is a great asset, whether you are a therapist, a doctor, a salesman or someone in a serious relationship. If you understand body language, you can learn a lot about other people.
For example, do you know how to tell if someone is lying to you? If they really like you? Or if they are interested in what you’re saying?
You would know– if you learned how to read body language . Knowledge is power…
Interpreting and Understanding Body Language
Whether you know it or not, you give non-verbal cues to others about how honest you are being, what you are feeling, whether you are in agreement, or if you like them.
We all do. Our bodies are dead-giveaways about what we are thinking and feeling. And, if you understand what all the nonverbal signals mean, you have a great advantage over almost anyone else.
So how could you benefit by understanding body language?
- Relationships – If you were able to “read” your significant other’s body language, you would have fewer misunderstandings and you could also get more of what you want, from the relationship!
- Attracting a partner – If you were able to “read” someone’s body language, you could tell, right off the bat, whether they liked you–or not! You would have a better idea of whether a person is attracted to you. And whether they are telling the truth.
- Sales – Learn body language and you’ll be able to determine if a prospect is really interested, and even how to know the exact moment to ask for the sale!
- Meetings – Nonverbal communication lets you know if attendees are interested in the meeting–or not. If you see boredom and disinterest, you can quickly turn the meeting around by switching to another subject or changing your approach.
- Interviews – Think of the advantage you will have–whether interviewing a candidate, or being interviewed for a job–if you know how to read the other person or persons during the interview! Experience at reading nonverbal communication can give you a great advantage!
- Increase your confidence – No more guessing about what someone thinks. You can be confident that you will say and do the right thing–because you have added information that tells you about the other person.
Unlocking the secrets of body language gives you unexpected power…
Non-Verbal Cues to Look For
Body language signs, for the most part, are subconscious. Our minds simply take thoughts and make them into actions or body gestures or positions.
So, what are some of the things you can learn?
- Facial expressions – Is the person smiling, or frowning? Does his expression change?
- Hands – Where are his hands? Are the palms up or down? Held loosely or in a tight fist? Where does he put his hands?
- Legs – Are they crossed, slightly apart, moving or still?
- Voice – What is his tone of voice, how loud does he speak, etc.?
- Eyes – Where does he look when he speaks to you? Are you getting eye contact?
The answers to these questions, and many others, give clues to another person’s thoughts, attitudes, feelings and actions.
And it is possible to learn how to read body language , so that you can, too, can use this knowledge to improve your life.
Becoming adept at understanding body language is simply learning to become a better listener and a good observer.