We observe and learn basic communication skills from the moment of birth. Learning to communicate effectively will help you be successful in relationships, and at work.
Good communication skills can relieve a stressful situation. If you are a poor communicator, you will often end up in arguments that do not resolve the issue–they just make it worse!
If you know how to assertively discuss a difference of opinion, you are far more likely to resolve the issue constructively.
Communication Improves as We Mature
Those communication skills that you learned as an infant or toddler are not appropriate for you to use as an adult.
For example, when you are hungry for dinner, you don’t cry. When you want to be held, you don’t throw a tantrum or scream until someone comes to hold you.
As you matured, you learned new, effective ways to communicate. They will serve you well as an adult.
But, it’s important to remember that, even the most successful people–can always learn more. In fact, the most successful people–are ALWAYS learning throughout life…
Basic Communication Skills for Success
Here are a few communication tips that will help you do better at work, and in your personal relationships.
- Be pleasant – It’s fun to be around pleasant people. Keep your sense of humor. Look on the bright side of things. Being pleasant will make you more approachable.
- Be responsive – When someone asks you a question, answer it. If someone writes a letter to you, write back. Return phone calls promptly. Respond to emails. Being responsive sends the message that the other person is important to you.
- Solve problems – Don’t be a complainer. Learn to look at each problem as a challenge. Something to be resolved. Learn to listen carefully and to be patient with others. Someday you may have a problem, and you’ll want someone to listen to you–and help you.
- Express yourself clearly – Learning to communicate well is one of the pillars of success. When you are assertive and communicate clearly, you have fewer disagreements, and you spend less time explaining what you thought you said!
- Be assertive – Learn to express your wants and needs, but still be mindful of the needs of others. Communicating assertively is very important to being successful. That way, you are not hoping that someone will “guess what you want”, nor are you bullying someone to get what you want!
- Patience – Patience is a virtue that many do not have. But it’s definitely worth working on. People will appreciate your being patient with them–and they will like you, for your kindness.
While this discussion of basic communication skills is a bit different from many, it does include some very important points if you want to be successful at business, in relationships and in the general community.
To learn more about how you can communicate more effectively, check out the excellent hypnosis program at Hypnosis Downloads.