Kids yoga poses provide benefits making it well worth your while to search for yoga positions for beginners who just happen to be kids…
Children love to use their bodies and they love to learn new things to do.
Teaching yoga to children is a great way to give kids interesting activities to explore, while they build important life skills–in a fun way!
Benefits of Yoga for Kids
Even though kids yoga poses have only been taught for a few years, the results are coming in fast. Parents and teachers are reporting a number of very positive effects on children who are learning yoga positions for beginners.
Here are some of the benefits that they are seeing:
- Self esteem – Children yoga gives children increased confidence and self esteem. They have a better body image and tend to teach and share their yoga skills with others.
- Physical well-being – Kids’ yoga gives children improved body awareness, physical strength and coordination and better flexibility. Yoga can be used in home schools as part of a physical education program.
- Brain functions – Yoga poses for children help with brain development. Kids show better right and left balance and actually do better in their school work. Concentration improves and children learn to focus better.
- Stress relief – Yes, children do experience stress and feel anxiety. Children who learn basic yoga poses report being able to relax when they need to. Learning to relax at a young age is a wonderful gift that will serve these children–thoughout their lifetimes!
- Breath control – Yoga for kids also teaches children to control their breathing. Being able to do this helps them to relax, on command.
- Weight control – With so many children being overweight, kids’ yoga is a great way to help children lose weight. It’s fun, and it’s not embarrassing. Even children who are heavy can do yoga.
Kids Yoga Poses and Positions
The only drawback to using yoga with children is that their bodies are not mature, and developing bodies can be hurt by physical activities too advanced for them.
You can’t just take adult yoga poses and positions and use them as kids yoga poses.
You need to have yoga poses that are safe for children–designed for children, with knowledge of their bodies and what they can safely do.
Fortunately there is a solution, and it’s a good one. There are a couple of good programs that have been developed to teach children yoga.
- Yoga Pretzels – cards with yoga poses for kids
- The Kids’ Yoga Deck – 50 poses and games for kids
- Goodnight Yoga – A pose by pose bedtime story for kids
These Yoga for Kids resources include:
- Yoga poses breathing exercises for kids
- Concentration exercises
- Fun movement activities
The materials are colorful and fun. Whether you are a parent who wants to share yoga with your child, a public school teacher, or a parent who is homeschooling your child, check out these great children’s programs.
It’s a wonderful way to introduce your child to ways to relax that will stay with him throughout his life! What a terrific gift to give to your child!