Learning time management skills may seem to be overwhelming and difficult, but time management is well worth the time and effort.
Knowing good time management techniques can help you advance at work, improve your productivity both at home and at work, improve your relationships, and even feel better about yourself!
Our management of time sends signals to others about how organized we are, how efficient we are, how we prioritize our life events, and how we feel about ourselves.
What is Time Management?
Time management is getting control of your life and organizing your time so that you can:
- Do everything that you need to do
- Find everything that you need to find – don’t spend hours looking for lost items
- Remember important dates – reduce guilt for forgetting important dates!
- Be on time for appointments
Why is Time Management Important?
Maybe you are thinking to yourself, “So, what?” Why is managing your time so important? There are a number of good reasons why you should learn to manage your time well.
Here are just a few:
- You will feel better about yourself – Your self-esteem improves when you get things done and feel that your life is under control.
- Your relationships will improve – If you are habitually late, do you know what message you are sending to others? You are telling them that they are not important and that you really don’t want to meet with them. You show a lack of respect for the other person. Your time is worth more than theirs. If you are in business, your customers feel unimportant. Have you ever had a doctor’s appointment, arrived on time, and then waited 2 hours to get to see the doctor? How did that make you feel?
- Time for leisure – Getting all the important things done will give you more time to do the things that YOU want to do! When you are more organized and efficient with your time, you will be able to do more activities that are fun for you!
- Stress management – Time management is a form of stress management, because getting your life organized and doing everything on time–reduces your stress levels.
- Productivity – Did you ever notice that some people get a lot more done in a day–than you do? Those people don’t have any more time than you. They have just learned the secrets of being more productive!
So, learn time management skills and increase your productivity and you will definitely reduce your stress levels. You will feel more in control, and you will have more time to pursue the relaxing activities that you enjoy.