Overcoming panic attacks may seem impossible at first, but there are a number of panic attacks self help measures that you can take to conquer your anxiety.
One of the worst things about having panic attacks is that, simply worrying about having an anxiety attack—can make you more likely to have one!
And, when you start to have an attack, you become more anxious, and that actually causes you to have a panic attack. In other words, your anxiety leads to more intense anxiety.
In a way, anxiety feeds itself…
Natural Remedies for Anxiety
There are a number of natural remedies for anxiety. Some work. Some don’t.
- Herb Tea – Having a nice cup of herbal tea may help you relax at the end of a stressful day, and it may help you when dealing with anxiety that is mild. But herbal tea will not stop panic attacks. Ashwaganda, kava, chamomile and valerian are examples of calming herbal teas. Valerian has a flavor and odor that some people find offensive, so you may want to doctor valarian tea with something like peppermint extract.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing – Some people can master diaphragmatic breathing, and they can use it effectively when they start to feel anxious. However, most of us can’t control our breathing very well, especially when we feel anxious. Instead of breathing deeply and slowly, most anxious people breathe in shallow, fast breaths. It seems that, once you feel anxious, you lose control of your breathing.
- Visualization – While visualization works very well for many purposes, people who experience panic attacks, are visualizing all the bad things that will be happening to them. If you are able to override those mental images with peaceful ones, this could work for you!
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation – While a nice thought, when you are anxious, you are anything but relaxed. You will find it very difficult to relax ANY muscles, let alone specific ones.
- Avoidance – Simply avoiding the situations that trigger your panic and anxiety attacks does not solve your problem. You still fear being in those situations—and the day may come when you will have to be in them. People who use this approach, find that they are avoiding more and more situations, instead of learning to cope with the ones that make them anxious.
- Behavior Modification – Behavior modification works because it actually changes how you act and react to certain circumstances. Your thought patterns become different, so you see the things that you feared most, differently.
- Hypnosis for Anxiety – Hypnosis and self-hypnosis are very effective tools that are used frequently by psychologists and therapists. Scientific studies have proven that hypnosis works to overcome panic attacks. This is one of the most effective and fastest ways to relieve your panic attack symptoms.
The Secret To Overcoming Panic Attacks
There is a big difference between those who are cured of panic attacks, and those who are not. The people who have overcome their panic attacks and anxiety are no longer afraid of having them!
If you have had anxiety panic attacks yourself, you’re probably thinking that I am crazy—because having another attack is the thing that you fear most.
But I’m not crazy. The fear of having an anxiety attack actually spurs you on to one! And, if you can change your thought patterns, so that you consciously and subconsciously KNOW that your most feared situation is actually harmless—you can beat anxiety!
You probably have heard the saying “what you resist, persists.” That saying applies perfectly to fear. If you resist a situation out of fear, the fear around that issue will persist—or continue to haunt and torment you.
The way to overcome your fears is to face them, and then to change your thought patterns. That’s why behavior modification and anxiety hypnosis both work—permanently–and they can both help you in overcoming panic attacks!