Everyone needs a personal stress management program. Developing your own stress management program can help you stay physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy.
You know what makes you nervous and tense, more than anyone else does. And your stress triggers are different from those of co-workers or family members.
So your stress management program needs to be personal. Just for you.
What Does NOT Work for Stress Relief
If you have never learned how to handle stress in a positive way,, then you may be using methods that just don’t work.
Unfortunately, it is human nature to repeat patterns that we learned when we were young. So, if you learned to cope with stress ineffectively as a child, chances are you’re still doing the same things.
If you are having lots of trouble with stress, these dysfunctional ways of dealing with stress may sound familiar….
- Ignoring the problem – thinking that if you don’t confront the problem, it will go away. It won’t!
- Using alcohol or drugs – anesthesizing to get rid of your problems–won’t get rid of them! And, if you drink or use drugs, you may compound your problems by creating an illness–another stressor.
- Eating when stressed – Food doesn’t SOLVE your problem. And you may end up being overweight–which is another stressor!
- Lashing out at others – fighting or arguing does NOT solve problems or relieve stress.
- Watching TV – escape is not the answer.
- Withdrawal – not communicating with others can only make matters worse. Stress and tension (or depression) are made worse when you try to “go it alone”.
- Violent behavior – This just tends to alienate you from others. What you need now is…friends!
- Worrying – What good does worrying do? Do you ever feel better after a “worry session”?
So, now that we’ve discovered what does NOT work for stress reduction, let’s look at what does…
Coping with Stress Positively
Everyone deals with stress differently. But, we do have a couple of things in common.
- We each have the power to make choices.
- We have the ability to reprogram our old and dysfunctional thought patterns. We can do this through hypnosis or by meditating.
- We can accept and reinforce new ways to handle problems and stress.
- We can CHOOSE to make our lives better!
How to Get Started Managing Stress
So how do you get started relieving stress in your life? Here are a few ways that you can easily handle stress and anxiety:
- Avoid situations – that you know will be stressful, if you can.
- If you can’t avoid a stressful situation, prepare for it. Mentally rehearse how you will react to different scenarios. Be ready–not caught unaware.
- De-clutter your home, workplace and life. Clutter is a time waster (when you have to look for things), a guilt producer and a source of stress.
- Get your time under control. Practice time management, and you WILL have time for everything!
- Choose relaxing hobbies or activities for after-work time and weekends.
- Make sure you set aside time for fun activities.
- Learn to relax at will – You can do this, using self-hypnosis or meditation.
Personalized stress management will add a new dimension to your life. You will find that life is more fun and that you feel so much better about yourself.
And happiness and relaxation are actually a choice.
Once you have decided to make a positive change in your life, the tools to make that happen–will appear!