Stress relief work ideas can help you manage work stress. While stress management in the workplace is everyone’s concern, there are things that you can do to relieve stress at work…
Taking a few steps to reduce workplace stress can go a long way toward making work fun–instead of stressful!
Is Workplace Stress Getting You Down?
The first step in relieving workplace stress is to become aware of your stressors. What is causing you to feel anxious?
Do you feel that the only life you have is work? That all your thoughts, energy and time are consumed by your job? That you are a slave to your work and therefore have very little time and energy left for family, friends and outside interests? If you are a workaholic, you can find help here.
It is important for you to keep work, play, rest and sleep in balance. You need to find time to spend with friends and family–relaxing time. You need some stress relief work ideas.
Learning to manage your stress and finding effective stress relief work ideas will help you stay on track for a healthier lifestyle.
How Stress at Work Affects You
The effects of work stress can cause chaos in all aspects of our lives, including our personal relationships, and especially our health.
Here are some other stress relief work ideas:
- Job stress has a huge impact on the work attitudes of employees.
- Work place stress costs your employer money because of more employee sick days, a higher turnover of employees and a drop in productivity.
- Stress related illnesses and mental health issues add to the costs of work place stress.
- When you experience workplace stress it affects your nervous system, immune system, and your mental capabilities – including your ability to concentrate and juggle tasks.
- When under stress at work, you may develop tension headaches or get colds and flu more often.
- When you feel down or depressed, it affects your attitudes. If you are stressed at work, you can develop a negative work attitude.
Work stress relief ideas should be implemented daily to keep your stress levels balanced. What bothers you the most? What would an improved workplace environment look like to you?
Take into consideration the different causes of stress at work. When you have a better idea of what the particular stressors are in your workplace, you can start to implement stress relief work ideas and manage your stress at work.
Keep in mind that stress is not always bad. A certain amount of stress keeps us motivated in a healthy way to achieve our goals and get things done.
Chronic stress lasts for a long time with detrimental effects to our health and well-being.
Stress Relief Work Ideas
for Managing Stress in the Workplace
Everyone deals with stress in their own way. If your idea of an enjoyable workplace environment includes deadlines that motivate and stimulate you, then a work environment with lots of deadlines would be ideal for you.
Keep in mind the workplace environment, especially when you are conducting a job search. Is the work area busy? Quiet? Stimulating enough for you?
Try These Stress Relief Work Ideas
Here are some stress relief work ideas for you to try:
- Take a time-out – Your brain has a limited capacity. Schedule regular breaks and time-outs throughout your work day. When you are loosing your train of thought or having difficulty concentrating, it is time for a quick break.
- Keep things balanced – Add a little humor to your work day.
- Handle Interruptions – Interruptions from other people at work can slow down your progress. Establish rules that allow you to focus on your work.
- Make a list – Make a list of things to do each day. Check each one off as you do it. Don’t put more on your list than you can finish–or the unfinished tasks will just become another source of frustration!
- Goal-setting – Organize your work load according to time constraints. You can work through your list of things to do and see clearly if you are on track or whether you need to ask for a little more time…
- Tackle one task at a time – Focusing on one task at a time allows you to get through your checklist.
- Letting go of control – If someone offers you a lending hand when the pressure is on, it might be time to pass some of your work load and relieve your stress.
- Email – Set time aside for checking and responding to email. Organizing your time will help you avoid the pressure and stress. Emails should not be answered during your most productive time.
- The Importance of Laughter – Laughter is good medicine. It’s instant stress relief. Laugh! Smile! Its a quick way to relieve stress. Find something funny in your day.
- Healthy Eating – Plan your meals so you ensure you are eating healthy foods.
- Relieving Stress by Exercise – Stretch your muscles during a work day and relieve muscle tension in your body.
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Uses – Using aromatherapy at work has the potential to relax you and create a more peaceful environment. Just make sure your co-workers don’t object.
- Get Organized– Keep an organized work space. Keep on top of your work schedule.
- Deep Breathing – Learn to use diaphragmatic breathing. It will help you relax.
- Identify Priorities – Time is precious. Identify what jobs need to be done first. It can be useful to sit down with a colleague or manager to work out an effective strategy to get things done.
- Productivity – Consider what times of the day you are most productive. How do you waste time throughout the work day. What can you do to manage your time effectively?
- Coffee – Coffee does wake-up your brain cells, but for a limited time only… it actually stresses your body out more!
Prevent Stress in the Workplace
There are some basic ways that you can reduce the anxiety and tension at work.
Get plenty of sleep. You will go to work rested and you will stay alert all day. When you are feeling rested, you are better equipped to handle problems and work issues.
Exercise regularly. Exercising regularly will keep those happy endorphins flowing and your stress levels balanced.
Learn to relax. If you have difficulty relaxing, find a fun and relaxing hobby. Or learn to meditate, which is a great way to relax. Make time for relaxation when you are not work. You will revitalize your energies and feel happier going to work!
Stretching. Take little mini breaks during the day to stretch your muscles. This will help you feel refreshed and help you to refocus on your job.
Using these stress relief work ideas will help you feel better at work and do better at work.
It will just take a little effort on your part to–to change your thinking (and your attitude) and to learn to take life less seriously at work–so you can relax and enjoy your time at work.